19 July 2012

Yesterday 17 July 2012

Thank you for:
Was not ready for the pic (for you Chel)
   1.   Disneyland Paris: I know I have been saying this quite often, but I never thought I would be in Disneyland. Today was the day. It was out of the world. I have never seen anything like this in my life. The last time I was completely enthralled by a show/performance/entertainment piece was when I watched The Lion King in New York. And of course Shreedhar and Sharukh’s student Irfan Khan’s rapid fire answers in the year end showcase. But I was completely unprepared for Disneyland. The objective of the park is very obvious- they want children (and adults) to believe in dreams, which has been my mantra for years now. I thought I would write about the experience but words cannot describe what I experienced. I thought I should click pictures, but how much would I click? I am not a video person, so I didn’t video much. I highly recommend this experience to anyone visiting France- as in, if anybody sometime in your life asks you if you would like to see Disneyland, please say yes.

2.       The Roller Coaster ride: Now, if you know me, you would know I am really scared of things that move on their own- with me in them- escalators for example. I have never been to Essel World and when I was in Fantasy Land when I was 12, the only scary ride I tried was the Dragon- which was pretty safe, but I remember feeling sick after that one ride. When I heard there were rides in DL, I regretted having agreed to visit it, because now, I had to face my fears or live with the fact that I was a scary poo. I researched, yes you read that right, I researched a lot on the rides and I decided that I need to face my fear. Along with my aunt (who is such a sport) I entered Indiana Jones and the Temple of Peril ride. I had a blast. I had no heart attack, no nerve splitting in my brain, no heamorrrage, no vertigo, no fainting- all of these were my fears for 27 long years. I got off feeling so so victorious. And every time I even considered going on Dumbo, the Flying Elephant, I felt fine. Not as if I was choosing something because I was afraid of something else.

3.       The Parade: We missed part of the parade and felt like we missed a lot. So Aunt and I decided to wait for the second one. The first one was at 7 and the second one was at 10.15. We waited those extra hours just for the parade. Fortunately, a huge number of people left the park after the first parade. We got to take the Disney Railroad and were surprised at the various sights. We saw some ‘must-see’ experiences and then waited at the parade route. The second parade is called Fantillusion and was very different from the first one. It was followed by a Dazzling Dreams show, which we got to see by chance. The Dazzling Dreams Show took my breath away. I was awestruck. It was like watching TV- these things are supposed to be unreal! I clicked no pictures- as I didn’t want to fix my eyes on a 5 inch screen- when everything was happening life size. Again, if you ever get a chance to visit Disneyland, please go and stay till the end.

4.       The Children and families: It is one thing to see people of different countries and totally another to see children. There were babies and toddlers, dressed like princesses and warriors. Most of them in pink, lavender and white. There were some really endearing sights to see- like one boy who fell asleep while waiting for a visit (I shall upload the picture when I can), there was one little girl who kept playing stone-paper-scissors with her father and sister and they didn’t seem to care, children who were afraid of fairies/princesses and just about everything in general. I saw parents who looked like wonderful parents- those who were listening to their children, those who were waiting in the queue for things that they would not enjoy at all (like Princess Pavilion) and those who were soothing their very frightened children. Fathers especially, kissing and entertaining their kids was a great sight. How do these families decide to go on a vacation? Do they sit together and just say, let's go on a holiday? I have experienced a family initiated holiday that I remember only once- I don't know what it looks like in families. I am glad a lot of kids know it.

5.       Not letting me see this when I was a child: I am glad I did not visit this as a child. I would never understand that those Princess Dresses are a waste. I also think I would want to be a Princess and live in a castle with a Prince all my life. As much as I think the bigger message of dreams coming true is a great one- I would pay attention to what the dreams are. Of course, I would grow out the dreams but, would still have to return home that one night feeling common, probably not pretty enough (which I felt by the way in the Princess Pavilion) and wondering when I would find a fairy godmother, a prince, a glass slipper, a lamp, or a frog- all short cuts to a ‘better’ life. Again, I think there is a bigger message there- but as a 9 year old, I am not sure if I would get it.

6.       The relief: wait times sometimes were 60 minutes for a ride that would last a maximum of 2 minutes. I tried to explain to my aunt the concept of return on investment but then she said that every place the wait times are this long. However, when we reached the rides, we felt such relief. At the end of the ride, we would feel sad that it was so short. It was great.

7.       The Small World Cruise: tagline goes “the happiest cruise that sailed the world” or something like that. It’s true. I was so happy that I felt a tear (of joy) in my eye. It is the only thing we went for twice. It is the thing I would want all my 50 children to see.

8.       The train: We waited back too long. Aunt was extremely worried about getting a train back. But we did. We got both the trains and returned home safely.

9.       The guy who offered his seat to my aunt. My Aunt was really tired- she was pushing herself to do all things because she wanted me to have a great time. She was incredibly tired and I could see it. We entered a train that was full of people but then a guy offered his seat to her and sat with his son. I felt so grateful but I didn’t have the words to thank him the way I wanted to.

10.   The safety I felt: I got a bit afraid when two drunken guys sat next to me. I got up feeling uncomfortable. I am not sure how safe I felt, but then I knew I was fine. That one episode though made me wonder if Paris is a safe city for women tourists. Maybe it is, but it is sad that the thought crossed my mind.

11.   These cities that have a romantic feeling. Paris is one of them. It celebrates romance.  I think it is a blessing for couples who are trying to revive the magic in their relationship.