22 July 2012

Today 21 July 2012

Thank you for:

1.       The call this morning: Today is VM’s first store launch day. I called to wish him luck. He sounded so busy and so him. He loves working hard and getting things done- and this event no matter how big it is, it makes him so happy. I like him happy. I love him.

2.       The cool: I have been keeping cool which is a tough thing to do.

3.       Eiffel Tower: Today is my last full day in Paris on this trip. I have a feeling I am going to be back. Aunt and I went to the Eiffel Tower today- again. It looked wonderful in the sun.

4.       Louvre: Aunt took me, by chance to the Louvre yesterday. I thought I would not get to see it but then I did! I loved the glass pyramid- when I go back to India, that’s what I am going to gift all my dear friends- glass prisms.

5.       The weather: It’s great today. Just like it was yesterday.

6.       The peek into Aunt’s life: I met Aunt’s friend yesterday and I also visited her clinic. Aunt went to the clinic for the first time in ten years yesterday. I could sense her feeling very nostalgic and a bit emotional. She was shocked at the changes that have taken place- it’s a possessiveness that I can imagine one would feel after working there for 27 years. I wondered how I would feel if I ever go back to a place where I have given my all and see that it is a place I cannot recognize anymore. Surely, in 5 years, DCHS is going to be demolished and the slum is going to be razed- when I go there then, will I feel possessive? A slight anger- would I go searching for my kids and wonder what happened to everything and everyone? When I was in standard 5, I used to see the roll of honour in my school- it began from the year 1986 or earlier. I would feel very odd- slightly sad. I wondered how those whose names appear on the board would feel now. I felt the same feeling when I watched my aunt peering in through the closed gate.

7.       Gift shopping: for as long as I can remember, every Christmas, Aunt would get us gifts. We would feel so happy knowing that the toys, chocolates, clothes and shoes were from France. Yesterday, I went shopping with my aunt. She bought a lot of cheese, meat and wine- all gifts for my family and my uncle’s family. I never really valued the cheese and chocolates that she would give. But yesterday, when I saw her choosing, packing, paying and carrying everything home, I vowed never again to let that cheese go bad in the refrigerator. I shall take personal responsibility of that cheese.

8.       Dinner Out: I said I would take my aunt out for dinner. She agreed. Until this morning we were arguing about who was going to pay and I was quite mad. I told her very firmly that if I was not the one paying, I would not go for dinner. She was annoyed too but she didn’t have much to say. My aunt wore a beautiful dress and was getting ready- I was pleasantly surprised to see her so excited about the dinner. We both dressed up and left for Champs Elysees. People in Paris dress really well and walk on the street, take the Metro or take a bus. This does not happen in Mumbai. I did not feel out of the place walking on the street. We ate at a place called Pizza Pino. We did not enjoy the food at all. When the bill arrived, Aunt and I argued once again on the table and finally I paid. What relief. We had a good time. What I realized as soon as we left the place was that aunt was very light. She was very different. She asked me to click her picture which is very rare. She wanted to stay out longer and went into more shops even though we were quite late. Something about that dinner changed something for her. I wonder what…

9.       The day: Tomorrow I am going to be in transit. Again.