Celebrating Year 2014
- ATC being a super hit. We got ASB to host us, waive off the Air Con cost and 3 high profile speakers. ATC moved to Delhi and got through so many rounds of Unltd India.
- We moved out of our house where we had been living for 25+ years. Although the process was unpleasant, it was seeing my parents' dream come true. Of moving into a bigger house.
- Pets for the first time! After having countless butterflies and a few birds who came in regularly to feed on the bird feeder, we got real pets. Toppy, Poosha, Limka and Brave who made life so much more joyful with their regular visits, histrionics and demands for affection.
- Milkweed Butterflies: After so many months of waiting, my milkweed plant finally got milkweed caterpillars. I was not able to witness the birth of the butterflies, however, I believe they took a good flight.
- I finally reached my target salary in June. In fact, I crossed it. I made a name for myself as an educator. I completed 2 years as an independent consultant.
- I took baby steps towards setting up my first business after so much longing. The next year will see me helping it grow.
- I also took my first job abroad. I always worried about functioning well abroad. I decided to test that fear. I did fine! In fact, I got to eat alone in a cafe, get my first fish pedicure, stay in a sea facing apartment and rediscover the art of communicating on postcards because of this one decision of moving out. I also got my much needed peace and rest.
- Another fear has been of traveling alone. I spent 5 days in Kota Kinabalu alone and realised that there is little to fear. A little bit of planning and common sense is required when alone but mostly its much more relaxed.
- This year, I also travelled extensively. In August, I started from Delhi, went to Varanasi, Darjeeling, Kolkata and Ahmedabad. All these places in less than a month!
- For the first time in my life I also met a person I don't want to see again in my life. I learnt what it means to feel terribly revolted by someone and I don't want that again. I have been hurt by people before but I have been able to separate the person from the action however, with this one person, I am not yet able to do that. I hope this person is the first and last in this category.
- My students continued to make me proud. Some of them were featured on National TV as part of a science programme and the other one received a standing ovation at a global conference. The obvious question was whose student is she- and the news travelled. People in Malaysia came looking for me to congratulate me. I feel good about it, however, like I always say... unsustainable student fame, create problems of their own.
- New people in my life! There were lots of new people in my life in the year 2014 thanks to the cohort at my previous organization, the two new projects I took up and my move to Malaysia. It will be tricky for me to name all the people (I can though!) but I can estimate meeting and engaging with atleast 200 people last year. I won't count the two editions of ATC because, I don't know each of the children's names.
Thank you 2014. You
have been very kind. 2015, please continue to be kind.